27 January 2015

[Top Ten Tuesday] Ten Books I'd Love to Read With My Book Club/If I Had A Book Club

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

I have to admit I really like today's topic, especially because I'm going to host a readalong/book club discussion next month for "The Lies of Locke Lamore" by Scott Lynch. I'll announce it soon! So today I'll mainly name books I already read, but some of them I'd love to reread or read for the first time. So if you're interested to read any of these books or other books together with me (or Maura or both of us), feel free to comment down below our Tweet us on Twitter!

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is kind of a stample for bookclub books. I things that's okay, because this book is so wonderful! If you don't know, it takes places during Second World War in Germany and it's about this little girl Liesel. We're following her through her life in this difficult time. There're so many things in this book you could discuss and so many things you could talk about, that's why I think this is a book that should be discussed in book clubs!
Phantom by Susan Kay I think this is the most discussed book in our family xD I'm a huge fan of Phantom of the Opera, I was named after the female main character (which I hate, how ironic), I watched the film for the first time when I was six, I read until today every book adaptation and watched almost every film adaptation. Soo...you can say I'm a bit obsessed :D But this book is great and there are so many aspects you can discuss! It's basically about a boy born with a deformities and then we see how his life goes. It's cruel and beautiful at the same time and I love, love, love this book!
Every Day by David Levithan Okay, this book is more modern than the other two, but there's a lot of stuff for discussions, though. I think there are YA books you read and you are entertained, and then there are YA books making you thing about the world and god and love and all the other things you could thing about. Every Day is such a book. It's about A who wakes up in a different body every day. This book talks about homosexual things, about question of god and believe and what makes you. It's really beautiful!

 Fifty shades of grey by E. L. James I know what you're thinking! xD I haven't read this book yet and I'm not sure if I want to, but if I'd read this book, I'd read it together in a book club. I think this is a book you should discuss, at least to have a little fun together talking about some scenes xD I don't think I'll ever read it, but if you're planning to read it, let me know, maybe I'll try it then :D
Love Letter to the Dead by Ava Dellaira Normally I don't like contemporary books, but I think that you can't discuss Fantasy books that good in book clubs. I prefer reading them on my own, because I think there not that many aspects you could discuss with a lot of other people, but with yourself or a friend. I don't know, I think contemporary fit better :D This one is about an girl names Laurel who's writing letters to death people to overcome the suicide of her older sister May. I think that's a really touching content, but it's so well done!
Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence Okay, actually I don't like discussing Fantasy books in book clubs, but THIS ONE: God there are so many aspects I'd like to argue about. It's about this cruel THIRTEEN YEARS OLD boy who likes raping girls and killing people and who insists to become the king of this messed up kingdom. Guys, if you read this book: Text me, we have stuff to discuss!

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson God, this book is soo good! It's a dystopian book about ethical question and science. There's this girl who has an accident and only 10% of her brain remain, but because of the special science there able to recover her. But the question is: Is she still herself? There are so many great questions about ethic things, medicine and what makes you yourself.
Wonder by R. J. Palacio Auggie is the sweetest kid I've ever met in books! He was born with deformities and in this book we get to know him. But we're not only talking about how bad his life is, we see his life from different POV's and it's not depressing at all, it's beautiful and touching. This is one of those books that makes you permanently smiling while you read and when are finished with it, you'll miss reading it.
The Perks of being a wallflower by Stephen Chbosky Honestly I think this is one of those books everyone read at least once in life. Charlie and his first year in High School is such a relatable and amazing content. You read this book and you feel like you're reading a guide how to survive High School and how to deal with the difficult parts while you grow up. I learned a lot from this book and I'd love to read it with every book club again.

The Humans by Matt Haig I actually read this book with a book club and it was awesome! This book is sooo amazing! We had amazing discussion and so I'd read it again if I had a book club. This book makes you thing about Humans in general and about yourself. It's so funny and beautiful and sad and....wonderful! Such a great book!



EXTRA ROUND: CLASSICS I'D LOVE TO READ WITH MY BOOK CLUB!

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen Okay, hands down: I'm obsessed with this book! Lizzie is an amazing protagonist and I love Austen's story about a lot of pride and, of course, prejudice. The writing is hilarious and the characters are simply great! I love this book and since I read it I'm not afraid of classics anymore.
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte I started this book once but didn't finish it. I don't know why, because it was really good! There's a lot of stuff to discuss and I think it would be amazing to read it together with some nice booknerds :)
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee This is an American Classic and I wanted to read this book for forever. But I'm kind of afraid to don't get it, so if you're interested in reading this too, great, let's read it together!
The Tempest by William Shakespeare You're wrong. I don't want to read this because of Warner......I'm honestly interested in it.  

6 comments:

  1. Hey :)
    Great books you chose! Really! I want to read Loveletters to the dead like now but I'm still reading The darkest minds by Alexandra Bracken.. Wonder and To kill a mockingbird also are on my tbr pile and I can't wait to get my hands on them^^
    BTW, I actually read 50 SOG and it wasn't that bad, well some scenes were but I guess I still liked it ;)
    Love,
    Lea ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey :)

      Wonder's a great book, you should read it as soon as you can, it'll literally melt your heart away!
      Love Letter is also a great pick up!
      I don't know if I'll like it, but I want to know why everyone is freaking out about this...and I want to see the movie, because honestly, the trailer doesn't look that bad :D

      Love,
      Kücki ♥

      Delete
  2. Hola muchacha :D

    If we ever were to read the same book at once, you'd probably done after two hours and I would take weeks.
    I'm suuuch a slow reader. I'm currently fighting my way through three books, and I just CANNOT DEAL WITH THIS.
    (But I'm reading a book on my Kindle, I'm doing my Potterthon and I have to read a book for German, sooo.)

    I'm still a little scared of THE BOOK THIEF. I think it'll take me a while before I can reread it, because... you know me. Not much of a rereader. Not too fond of crying or crushing my soul.

    I'm really curious about LOVE LETTERS TO THE DEAD and FIFTY SHADES OF GREY, although it, again, might take me a while before I get to them. First I really need to finish off my TBR.

    And I just love WONDER.

    I read TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD last year, and I really enjoyed reading it. It's not too complicated, just very slooow at times. It has a beautiful style of writing and shows quite authentically how life was back in Harper Lee's days.
    I, once upon a time, started reading PRIDE AND PREJUDICE, too, but didn't enjoy it. I'll read it someday, at least for university, I guess, but yeah...

    Really enjoyed your post.
    Hope you'll get around to reading some of the books you don't know yet :)

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Anna :D

      Anyway I'd really like to read a book with you! It was so funny when you read the Lunar Chronicles and we started to discuss things about it. (My fav: When you discovered why Thorne is named Thorne xD)

      I don't know, I really like reading this book over and over again. Okay, it still hurts, especially in the end, but it's so beautiful that this doesn't matter.

      Haha, maybe we should read 50 Shades together, so I can freak out everytime they have sex and you can try to calm me xD

      Wonder's amazing!

      I'm very curious about To kill a mockingbird, but I don't know when I'll be able to read it...so: SAME!

      Thank you Anna :) ♥
      I really enjoyed you comment :D

      Delete
  3. So, I bet I need 2 hours to write this comment and there will be so many mistakes, but anyway xD

    Yeah, I know the most of the books, you mentioned :D

    I would be in a book club, too ;( But here isn't anywhere a book club for teens, it's so sad :( Maybe I try to ask in our library if I can start a book club there, but I don't know, when I should organize that, there is so many time at the moment :(

    So, to the books:

    I think, you know, that I love The Bookthief, too <3 I should read this book again... :)
    And Every Day is one of my absolutely favourite books <33
    Haha, I think it would be realy funny to read Shades of Grey :D Maybe we should read it once together xD
    I want to read Love letters to the dead! *_*
    The Adoration Of Jenna Fox is also so good *_*
    Wonder <3 I think, you know, how much I love this book :D <3
    Oh my god, I finisched The perks of being a wallflower (but in German Das also ist mein Leben, it's so sad, I didn't read the book in English :() and I love this book so so much!! <33333 It's just so wonderful and full of emotions, and god, I can't explain it *_* But I realy love this book <3

    Oh, I want to read To kill a mocking bird (or maybe in German Wer die Nachtigall stört, because my mum read it in German, so we have the book at home) this year, maybe we can read it together? :)

    Lovely greetings <3
    Chrisi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How much time did you finally need? :D

      I asked my library if I could host a book club but there weren't enough young readers in my little town, so I'm even more happier to have this community. But I'd love to start a book club!

      Haha, we should! :D
      YAY! Glad you liked it, it's one of my favs :)

      Of course we can read it together! Let me know when you've time and we're going to made up a WA group :D

      Love
      Kücki ♥

      Delete