26 February 2015

[Review] Scarlet – Marissa Meyer





Title: Scarlet
Author: Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Square Fish Books
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #2








Cinder is back and trying to break out of prison—even though she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive if she does—in this second installment from Marissa Meyer. Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother, or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana. [Square Fish Books]

I have to admit that I didn't like Cinder as much as everyone else. Don't get me wrong. I still thought it was good just not amazing. So I wasn't as excited as everyone else for Scarlet, which was a mistake since Scarlet is so much better than Cinder!

One of the few things I didn't like about Cinder was that it was very predictable – because it's a Fairy Tale retelling and so on. But Scarlet wasn't predictable, not even a little bit, and it's still a Fairy Tale retelling, though. So many things were able to surprise me. I was shocked, afraid, happy, sad and so many other thing which I could have never foreseen. 
The beginning is primarily told from Scarlet's perspective but later on you will also find two other perspectives - from Cinder and from Kai. I think this mixture from different perspectives with a different storyline is amazing. The reader can discover two at first completely different stories in one book, that will be connected later on with a pretty surprising plot twist. And yes, you'll find more than one shocking plot twist in Scarlet! I preferred Cinder's perspective. I do not really know why. Maybe because I already knew her or because it was the story line with most of the action? But the other perspectives weren't boring either! 
While reading I also enjoyed Marissa Meyer's writing style. It's easy to understand and fast paced. You literally fly through the book. It makes so much fun discovering the story when the writing style suits perfectly to what it wants to tell you.
Beyond that I really liked the characters. Of course I already knew and loved Cinder and Kai, but Scarlet is also pretty amazing. I'm still not quite sure what to think about Wolf. And Thorne is quite annoying - at least in my opinion. His comments could be funny – but often I was irritated. 
The ending is very shocking and surprising – again, I don't know how often I've already used this word in my review, but Scarlet is just surprising! I couldn't believe what was happening and what Kai did! I mean his action was hopeless. I really hope Cinder can stop him before it's too late!

To sum it up with my favourite word of this review: Scarlet is a surprising novel which you'll definitely enjoy. It's so much better than Cinder. With amazing characters, a fast paced writing style and some pretty shocking plot twists it managed to capture my whole attention. It captured my feelings as well and did with it what it wanted. So I can definitely recommend Scarlet – the whole Lunar Chronicles series, too – and I'm so excited for Cress!


No comments:

Post a Comment